Psalm 121

Psalm 121

“I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth. He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The LORD is your keeper; the LORD is your shade on your right hand. The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life. The LORD will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forevermore.”

This passage was fun for me to read, not only because there are many worship songs tailored after this verse (go ahead and look ‘em up), but also because this is a Psalm that brings a lot of peace. We are in the time of advent and coming up to the Peace candle and my mind is tracking with that. We live in a world that is teaming with injustice, malice, chaos, fear, worry, etc. I am always stressing out about work, how my wife is doing without me at home with the kids, the family that is far away from me, our nation as a whole, who is going to bomb us because of a miscommunicated speech over twitter, and many more. WE NEED PEACE! We have all found peace with our parents or a figure who stepped into our lives as a parental figure. This Psalm consistently speaks of how God has us and can give us that peace that we desire because of the awesome parent that he is and that we have no need to worry. It asks in this Psalm, “From where does my help come? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth.” It also says that, “The LORD is your keeper; the LORD is your shade on your right hand.” I pointed out these 2 verses, because it shows me that not only is God super powerful to create the heavens and the earth and there should be no problem to big for him to handle, but he also takes care of us on the smaller end and shades us when it is too sunny outside to ensure we don’t die of sunstroke. We sing the song a lot in church that our God is a great big God, and he certainly is. 

Pray this Monday morning where you may need peace in your life, and recite this passage a few times this morning. If one of these passages really hits home with you throughout the devotional series, I would also encourage you to take the time to memorize it as that brings a whole new meaning to reading the scriptures. 

You are all awesome and blessings to you today!

-Tim

Comments

Popular Posts