2 Corinthians 6

I always say that parents are their kid’s picture of what God is like. It’s so true. For many of us, how we see our earthly father is how we tend to view our Heavenly Father.

The truth is, my job as a dad is not to have my kid’s see me as God, but see me as a sinner in need of a righteous God. To see me as an adopted son of God that desperately needs Jesus everyday.

When I read passages like 2 Cor. 6, it can feel overwhelming because God has set me (and likely you, since you’re reading a church devotional) apart to live a life that is honoring to Him. That’s called holiness...Being set apart by God for His good purpose. And then show my kids how to live like that too. Man, do I need Jesus to do that!

16 What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, "I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17 Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you,
18 and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty."
- 2 Corinthians 6:16-18

God calls us to something greater than pursuing what feels good, what gets our motor running, and even what seems conventionally wise. He calls us to be set apart for Him, and act as if He is our Father. That means follow His lead, obeying Him, looking to Him for direction, protection, and instruction.

Guys, that is not conventional. You’ve heard the saying that two people are “cut from the same cloth”. I’m here to tell you that being holy means being cut from a different cloth, being cut from God’s cloth.

So what is acting in holiness? A lot of times it’s literally relying on God to do the next right thing. As a son and daughter of God, He can help you do that. As a parent of kids, I can help them do that.

By His Grace,
Charlie

Comments

Popular Posts