Sufficient Grace

Sufficient Grace


“Therefore, so that I would not exalt myself, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to torment me so that I would not exalt myself. Concerning this, I pleaded with the Lord three times that it would leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is perfected in weakness.” Therefore, I will most gladly boast all the more about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may reside in me. So I take pleasure in weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and in difficulties, for the sake of Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”
2 Corinthians 12:7‭-‬10


When you hear the word “sufficient,” what meaning comes to mind? I hear it and think: enough, but just barely enough. The bare minimum, and not nearly as much as I would have hoped.


Verse 9 tells us that God's grace is sufficient for us in our weaknesses. Using the above definition I created for myself, that statement is not very comforting. But my own logic is flawed.


Other places in scripture describe God's grace as “glorious” and “lavish” and “richly poured out on us,” and that's all just in Ephesians 1! This is the same grace that prompted God to send his one, infinitely loved Son to die and then conquer death for our sakes, so that we don't have to be separated from Him. Because we are also His infinitely loved children.


When I hold my own understanding of the word “sufficient” up against these examples in Scripture, it doesn't hold water. At all. It would appear that to God, “sufficient” means overflowing, generously given, without end, more than I'd ever know to ask or hope for.


And wow, do we need it. I'm sure for most of us, our experiences in this fallen world would line up with Paul's account in the verses above. We all have a “thorn in the flesh,” an ongoing battle that constantly requires God's help and grace. Whatever it is for you, I have no doubt that it is difficult, trying, and humbling-because it's meant to require your dependence on this lavish, extravagant grace. We are supposed to lean into that grace with all that we have. Because it's more than enough to get us through the day. It's more than enough to lead us in breaking down strongholds. It's the same power that raised Christ from the dead, and God wants to pour it out in buckets over us. Claim it. Stand in it. Boast in it for His glory.

-Connie

Comments

Popular Posts