Who Do You Want To Be?

1 Praise the LORD! Praise, O servants of the LORD, praise the name of the LORD! 
2 Blessed be the name of the LORD from this time forth and forevermore! 
3 From the rising of the sun to its setting, the name of the LORD is to be praised! 
4 The LORD is high above all nations, and his glory above the heavens! 
5 Who is like the LORD our God, who is seated on high, 
6 who looks far down on the heavens and the earth? 
7 He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap, 
8 to make them sit with princes, with the princes of his people. 
9 He gives the barren woman a home, making her the joyous mother of children. Praise the LORD!  - Psalms 113

So, I am officially 38 today. I'm excited to share this little devotional with you on my birthday. What an honor!

The other day, Leeland says, "Dad, I think maybe I should start thinking about what kind of man I want to be." Mind you, he is 7. At times, I am still asking myself what kind of man I want to be! 
I asked him, "Well, bud. What do you think? What kind of man do you want to be?" 

Without missing a beat, he says what every dad wants to hear, and fears at the very same time. He says, "I want to be like you." Oh! The pressure!!!!! And the flattering compliment!!

In that moment, he reminded me that I need to consider what kind of man I want to be. And when I read this psalm I thunk I see what kind of man I want to be.

Now, I am not God, and I don't even pretend to be close. God and God only is worthy of our praise. But there is something about this psalm that I feel compelled to strive for.

God is so great and at the same time cares for the poor and broken. This is the kind of man I want to be. I want to be strong, I want to be a good leader. I want to be someone who provides for my family. Aaaannnndddd, I want to always consider others before myself. Giving of my life to bless others, loving my family well, and leading others towards Jesus are all parts of the kind of man I want to be. 

This Thanksgiving maybe it's time to consider, What kind of man or woman do you want to be? 


Much love, Fam!

Comments

Popular Posts