I Confess

4 For my iniquities have gone over my head; like a heavy burden, they are too heavy for me.
5 My wounds stink and fester because of my foolishness,
6 I am utterly bowed down and prostrate; all the day I go about mourning.
7 For my sides are filled with burning, and there is no soundness in my flesh.
8 I am feeble and crushed; I groan because of the tumult of my heart.
9 O Lord, all my longing is before you; my sighing is not hidden from you.  - Psalm 38:4-9

Wow. That's some serious awareness of your sin in that Psalm! I remember about 8 years ago, the pastor that I was serving under told me, "Charlie, if we aren't confessing sin to each other at least once a week, we shouldn't be here." Boom. Mind Blown. His view of the Cross was so significant that he saw his sin in a way that I had never experienced. And it scared me.

I had never really been in a context that I was confessing sin weekly. Sure, I'd been in small groups, staff meetings, etc. But to actually come right out with it and confess my sin? Man, that's a tall order.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized I had an issue with confessing sin. I also began to really appreciate it. If you're not willing to confess sin, there's a problem. Either:
0. You don't see your sin as great an offense to the Cross as it is, or
0. You don't believe you really have that much sin to confess.

Let me tell ya, if King David writes, I confess my iniquity; I am sorry for my sin (Psalm 38:18). We surely have sin to confess. What I realized is that without being able to confess and walk through our junk, we will never grow in our faith.

How's your view of your sin? Is it big enough? Do you believe that sin is an actual offense to God? How's your confession life? Do you keep your sin inside where it's dark and you don't want to admit what's wrong?

I encourage you to do a heart check today. We all have sin and need a heathy, safe, and trustworthy outlet to confess that to. Otherwise, it has a tendency to take root in our heart.

Praying for you today, Well Church!

Charlie

Comments

Popular Posts