Transformed : Emotional Health - Day 1

"Come to me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV) 

In the Bible, people came to Jesus for many reasons. Some came to be healed. Others needed advice. Many came for eternal life. Jesus gives you another reason to come to him: rest from your burdens. But here's the catch. Once you have come to Jesus with your burdens, you have to give up control. Jesus says, "Take my yoke upon you." 

Yoke is a farming too. Farmer yoke there plow-horses together to keep them going in the same direction and at the same pace. When they are yoked together, one cannot go faster then the other, or slower for that matter. They are less prone to veer off the path when they are working together. When their burden is cut in half, they can accomplish twice as much.

Jesus is using a yoke as a symbol of partnership with him. God never intended for you to bear your burdens alone. Jesus is saying, "I will help carry the load, you don't have to do it alone anymore. When you're weary and worn out, emotionally exhausted, let me carry your burden with you."

Jesus' invitation is, "Learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." The secret to overcoming an overloaded life is to go to the only one who can truly give you rest for your soul. Jesus is your burden bearer, your model for stress-free living. Except his invitation today and find the rest you have been searching for.

Next Steps. Write down your answers to these questions. 

81. What did you hear?
82. What do you think?
83. What will you do?
84. Now talk to God...

Work Cited
Warren, R. (2014). Daily devotions: Transformed: How God Changes Us. Rancho Santa Margarita, CA: Saddleback Church.

Comments

Popular Posts