Transformed: Relational Health - Day 7

Cast all your care upon him, for he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7 (NKJV) 

At first glance, this verse is a promising invitation to the de-complicate life. Peter apparently counselors us to dump and run,“ casting our problems on God, because he is somehow obliged to relieve us from difficulties. Or is this reading naïve, especially as it relates to relationships and their inevitable anxieties and conflicts? 

In its context, this verse actually encourages Christians to become mature and to embrace their responsibilities. Peter identifies the key to casting our cares” as humility: God gives grace to the humble. Therefore, humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God that he may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon him, for he cares for you.” (1 Peter 5:5-7 NKJV). Why does Peter connect or cares with humility before God?

Humility is seeing ourselves in relationship with GodFather, Son and Holy Spirit—“The I AM,” “The ALWAYS.” God is described in scripture as loving, good, wise, gracious, merciful, never-changing, all-powerful, all-knowing, everywhere-at-once, sovereign, before all, overall, in all, through all, and so much more! Humility stands in rapt attention before God and exclaims, Im not worthy!” Humility acknowledges and acts on one profound truth, You are God, and I am NOT!

And it is this God who says to the humble, Do you need my grace in a relationship right now? Cast all of your cares on me, because I care for you. Bring me every heartbreak, every disappointment, every conflict. Its all important to me because youre important to me. I care about your relationships. And because you have humbly asked, I will pour out my grace upon your life.

When you are worried about a relationship, do what Peter says: humble yourself before God, cast your care upon him, and receive his grace.

Next Steps. Write down your answers to these questions. 

136. What did you hear?
137. What do you think?
138. What will you do?
139. Now talk to God...


Work Cited
Warren, R. (2014). Daily devotions: Transformed: How God Changes Us. Rancho Santa Margarita, CA: Saddleback Church.

Comments

Popular Posts