About Who?

About Who?

1 Oh sing to the LORD a new song, for he has done marvelous things! His right hand and his holy arm have worked salvation for him.
2 The LORD has made known his salvation; he has revealed his righteousness in the sight of the nations.
3 He has remembered his steadfast love and faithfulness to the house of Israel. All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God.  - Psalm 98:1-3

There's a book you may have heard of called The Purpose Driven Life. It's like the biggest selling book ever not called The Holy Bible. The first words in the book are this:
"It's not about you."

I have heard Rick Warren speak at conferences a few times, and I'm always so impressed by his humility. It's his humility that he starts the book off with, and I think that's what made that book so powerful.

As I read this Psalm of praise and worship I want you to notice what the psalmist does here. He claims that salvation is the Lord's, righteousness is the Lord's, steadfast love is the Lord's, and faithfulness is the Lord's. It's not about you.

And yet, there is great comfort in that. At least there should be. What I've come to realize over the years is that anytime this life becomes about me, I'm on a road to frustration and despair. Think about your life. Most of the times that you've experienced heartache or frustration, it has probably become about you.

I want to encourage you today. Search your heart. Ask God to reveal where it's become about you. And declare to God: Lord it's your salvation that gives life, it's your righteousness that gives freedom, it's your steadfast love that changes hearts, it's your faithfulness that gives comfort, and it's to your glory that we live.

I love you church. It's Not About You.

- Charlie

Comments

Popular Posts