1 Corinthians 12

4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; 5 and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; 6 and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. 7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. 8 For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 1 Corinthians 12:4-10

Oh boy. This is a loaded chapter. Okay lets keep this kind of short and simple... hopefully.
In 1 Corinthians 12 Paul is addressing Spiritual Gifts. This can be a very confusing topic to discuss and it can get kind of sticky is many ways. But as I read this chapter and studied it I was just reminded over and over again what Scripture says the Holy Spirit is being sent to do. So lets take a look...

25 “These things I have spoken to you while I am still with you. 26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.
John 14:25-26

Okay so the Holy Spirit has been given to us to help us remember what Jesus has taught us in Scripture. In the word of God.

5 But now I am going to him who sent me, and none of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ 6 But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart.
7 Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. 8 And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 concerning sin, because they do not believe in me; 10 concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see me no longer; 11 concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.
12 “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. 14 He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. 15 All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.
John 16:5-15

So the main point I want to get to is this, the Holy Spirit was sent to us to glorify Jesus. To bring us back to Jesus. Spiritual gifts are given by the Spirit, who does not do anything without the Son and the Father. So in all things you should be able to point back to scripture and back to Jesus. Spiritual gifts are amazing and they are a wonderful tool we have been given to help us as disciples but they are not the main focus. Jesus is.

“ All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he will.”
1 Corinthians 12:11

Comments

Popular Posts