Objective Defined

Nevertheless, we have not made use of this right, but we endure anything rather than put an obstacle in the way of the gospel of Christ.  Do you not know that those who are employed in the temple service get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in the sacrificial offerings?  In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel.
1 Corinthians 9:12b – 14 (ESV)
When we read chapter 8, Paul stated that love should be placed over knowledge.  In the Corinthian church, many mature Believers were using their knowledge of Scripture to justify eating at pagan festivals.  Although they were correct in action, they were not loving and considerate of those younger in the faith because of their struggles with a sinful past.  Paul’s message was clear, “Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble” (1 Cor. 8:13).  He pushed to protect his brothers and sisters at the cost of his freedom.
Paul’s objective was defined; that the Gospel take priority over everything else.  The apostle explains to the Corinthians why he is willing to give up his freedom.  Giving up his rights and privileges did not make him a better Christian, but probably made him a more effective one.  His sacrifice did not make him more holy, what it did do was remove distraction.  If someone is playing fast and loose with their liberty, it might not be sinful.  But what it might do is distract someone from the message that is so near and dear to our hearts.  Whenever we have the chance to present the Gospel to someone, it needs to be clear and without interruption.  This is not to say we can ultimately disrupt God’s declarative plan; He is sovereign, not us.  But want to be obedient and to be used by God.
What is also great about the Gospel is that we can use culture to as a platform to present it.
For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them.  To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law.  To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law.  To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some.  I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings.
1 Corinthians 9:19 – 23 (ESV)
Although we all have the same objective, some of us may be called to carry it out in different ways.  Take the military for example; the basic branches are the army, air force, navy, and marines.  All have a different function, yet still have the same objective.  We all belong to an earthly culture (or subculture) behind our identity in Christ.  We may be called to give up certain freedoms and participate in culture for the sake of the Gospel.  I cannot tell you how to do this in a short devotional, you have to pray and seek counsel to get better clarity.  But if you keep Jesus in your focus, the other stuff usually falls into place.
I love you all,
Justin

Comments

Popular Posts