1 Corinthians 13

I love officiating weddings. It’s a small moment that I get to speak into a couple’s life about what marriage really is. I have done dozens of weddings in the last 10 years as a pastor...averaging about 3/year. Interestingly enough, I have never used the most common Christian wedding passage. So, I guess it’s fitting that I get the chapter that contains it!

4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant
5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;
6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.
7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. - 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a

I think the reason I avoid this passage during weddings is because it just feels very loaded. People have all different ideas of what love is, so when this passage goes to define it, I feel like each point is a sermon in and of itself.

But, as a married man for almost 14 years, I have realized that this passage is so true. The question is, “When I measure the love that I offer my wife to this list, how do I measure up?” To figure that out, I put each attribute of love in list form and rates myself 1-5. 1 being terrible and 5 being excellent. Then I multiplied the score by 20 to give myself a grade for
0-100. This isn’t fail proof, but it is telling. Why don’t you take a few minutes and do it too? Specifically rate yourself in terms of your closest relationship. Then if you’re really bold, you can actually ask them to rate you in each category. That may be even more telling.

This is obviously imperfect, but any time of reflection can be convicting if you let the Lord work.

Love you guys. I hope this is something that you can use, and ask for the Spirit to grow you in areas you need growth. I trust that He will also encourage you in areas you’re doing well.

Charlie

My list and results:
Patient - 2
Kind - 3
Happy For Others - 5
Humble - 3
Nice - 3
Flexible - 4
Understanding - 2
Forgiving - 5
Encouraging - 5
Scriptural in Advice - 5
Long suffering - 4
Trusting - 5
Hopeful - 5
Slow to Anger - 2

Average: 3.79
Score: 76%

Comments

Popular Posts