Better Is One Day

As soon as I started reading Psalm 84, I couldn't help but sing because it's where the worship song Better than One Day is based on. I honestly had no idea that the song was based on a Psalm!  I'm sitting here wondering, "why don't they just call the song Psalm 84?"  Granted, it's not word for word, but if you're familiar with the song, you can't read Psalm 84 without singing the song!

This is a wonderful Psalm about just longing to be in the presence of the Lord because of how satisfying he is. 

1How lovely is your dwelling place,
Lord Almighty!
2My soul yearns, even faints,
for the courts of the Lord;
my heart and my flesh cry out
for the living God.

I love this attitude!  I wish I had it! If I'm being honest, sometimes I feel like my soul yearns for my bed, or for some alone time with video games or TV. And when I do get to "dwell in that place", it's usually great for like an hour or two.  But what if... you could trade your daily grind and instead have unlimited resources and spend a thousand days at your most desirable vacation spot. You can get massaged daily, toes in the sand with a fancy beverage (maybe a snapple?), and whatever else suits your fancy.  It would be pretty amazing!  A thousand days in paradise!  A THOUSAND days that pales in comparison to one day in His courts.  To be in the dwelling place with the Lord, our creator that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, is infinitely better than a thousand days in your fantasy land.

Father in Heaven, we yearn to be in the courts of the Lord.  Your love is glorious and to be with you, our perfect, omnibenevolent, omniscient, omnipotent, omnieverything, would be more than satisfying!  Father forgive us for seeking satisfaction elsewhere. Give us a Psalm 84 attitude that daily longs to be with you.




Comments

Popular Posts