Psalm 71

Psalm 71

“In you, O Lord, do I take refuge; let me never be put to shame! In your righteousness deliver me and rescue me; incline your ear to me, and save me! Be to me a rock of refuge, to which I may continually come; you have given the common to save me, for you are are my rock and my fortress.”

David is writing this Psalm as he is further along in life and really reminds us that it doesn't matter how good you think you have it, we must always look to God as our need and comfort in the world around us. Some of us may have it pretty tight with God, or may have been raised up in the church and feel like we got our picture in the right place on the wall. I have been that label before. The ‘PK’ (the pastor’s kid) with everyone believing that I had it all together when my life was just as in shambles as everyone else’s growing up. From hanging with the wrong crowd in high school, to family drama, there has never been a moment where it has just worked out to wing it on my own. God made himself very clear throughout these situations; sometimes whether I liked it or not.  There have been quite a few Psalms that I have read through this process of writing devotions that hold the word ‘refuge.’ This word always makes my eyebrows raise and really packs a punch for me in catching my interest as I read through this Psalm. Refuge is a condition of being safe from danger. This is really where I see the gospel at work in this passage as David is confident and at peace and really understands that there is turmoil all around him and the only place he kind find rest and peace is in the LORD. We continually talk about this at church, but was prevalent this last week as we talked about the friendship of God. When something or someone is causing you problems, or developing drama whom do you find safety in? Your friends? Your parents? Your spouse? None of these are bad answers, but God sent his son long before he sent us our friends, parents, and spouses to create a valuable relationship with us with bonds that can never be broken. This entire Psalm is amazing to soak up for the beginning of your week, but I encourage you to pray verse 14-16 through each bad AND good situation that you encounter this week, because it is God at work having a hand in each of our lives. 

“But I will hope continually and will praise you yet more and more. My mouth will tell of your righteous acts, of your deeds of salvation all the day, for their number is past my knowledge. With the mighty deeds of the Lord God I will come; I will remind them of your righteousness, yours alone.”

Be blessed to be a blessing. 

-Tim

Comments

Popular Posts