Be Like John

11"I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. 12His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor and gather his wheat into the barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire."

I’m going to jump ahead a bit and reference Matthew 11:11, where Jesus says that John the Baptist was greatest among those born of women.  That’s quite a compliment, especially coming from the Son of God! John was great because he was the forerunner to the Messiah.  He was great because as far as I know he was the first to prophesy for God since Malachi.   He’s great because in Luke 1:17, “he will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready for the Lord a people prepared."

But even John recognized that as great as he was, he wasn’t all that… great.  Going back to Matthew 11:11, Jesus says the greatest among those born of women, BUT the least among the kingdom is even greater than John the Baptist.  John recognized this.  Despite his obedience and service, John knew that he wasn’t even worthy to carry the sandals of Jesus. He had shown resistance to baptizing Jesus, because he felt it ought to be Jesus baptizing him, yet in obedience, he baptized Jesus. In John 3:30, John the Baptist says, “He must increase, but I must decrease”.

John the Baptist is a great model for us.  A man completely devoted to doing God’s work, and was great at it, yet still he comes before Christ acknowledging he is not worthy of carrying His sandals.  I don’t know about you, but sometimes I find myself imagining coming face to face with Christ and saying something like, “Hey God, I know I’m not perfect, but check out all the good things I did. It’s in my resume! “, and hoping He’d be somewhat impressed.

If I were to have an accurate view of myself and of God, then I guarantee that I would be more humble and reverent during worship services, during prayers and simply living my day to day life.  I had a recent conversation with Charlie about how during worship service, how I haven’t been lifting my hands up in worship of Him.  I think it may be because I need to be more like John, and remind myself of the Holiness and love of Jesus Christ.

We have been called to love the Lord Our God with all soul, heart and strength.  Are we?   If not, why not?  I pray that we examine our hearts and minds.  Asking God to give us an actualization of who we really are, and who Christ is.  He’s worthy of all our worship. Let us give him our all!

- Zane

Comments

Popular Posts