Immanuel

Immanuel

Matthew 1:22-23

"All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 'The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel' -- which means, 'God with us.'"

At the start of the new year I always find myself reflecting on what went wrong the year before and what I can do to be better this year around. I messed up plenty in 2016 with struggles and challenges with my family to difficult times at work; but in all of those times, there is always resolve because I know I have Jesus in my life. I then begin to think where I would be if I didn't have Jesus and it always looks pretty grim.

This verse is not only awesome because it reflects back to Old Testament prophecies and how sweet the truth of the Bible is, but we also get to see our savior come down to Earth and genuinely be "close" to us in human form (thus the whole Immanuel name). After reading this chapter I kept getting drawn to this verse as I am amazed by or redeemer for desiring to be "with us." In everything we do and in everything we encounter (good or bad) he is with us and cherishes us as his beloved children. Knowing that Jesus came here to die for our sins when there was no need for God to do this in the first place really makes you stand in awe of the relationship he desires with us. What an amazing thing to hold on to to start off the new year! God with us! He is our king, the blessing to all nations, and our Abba father.

Pray this week for God to reveal himself to you as He revealed his son to the world through this first chapter of Matthew. Keep your ears attentive to what he is trying to tell you this week and praise Him for the things that He will work through you this year.

Blessings to you all and Happy New Year!!

-Tim

Comments

Popular Posts