Dwelling On His Holy Hill

Psalm 15
"1 O Lord, who shall sojourn in your tent?
Who shall dwell on your holy hill?
2 He who walks blamelessly and does what is right
and speaks truth in his heart;
3 who does not slander with his tongue
and does no evil to his neighbor,
nor takes up a reproach against his friend;
4 in whose eyes a vile person is despised,
but who honors those who fear the Lord;
who swears to his own hurt and does not change;
5 who does not put out his money at interest
and does not take a bribe against the innocent.
He who does these things shall never be moved."

Wow.
Who is blameless enough to dwell with you, God?
Who has met all of your commands, fears you, and hasn't hurt a single soul?

The answer is definitely not me but this question can be answered by almost any Sunday School child. Who shall dwell on your holy hill? Jesus. Only Jesus is good enough.


As a young believer, I use to read Psalms and think me, me, me.  I would take Davids lamenting and tie it to my own.  It did help, and God met me where I was, but I'm thankful to have grown from that.

Like the rest of scripture, these verses point to Christ. Time after time, Psalms points to the Messianic King and to be devoted to God's teaching.

Psalm 15 is a call to faithfulness.

And as hard as it is, it points out my own depravity.

It points out that I needed Jesus in my heart to save me from hell. It also points out that I still need Jesus, everyday, to help me not make my own hell on earth.  If I try to do things on my own, I make bad choices or end up sitting with ill thoughts.

Our devotions this week seemed to all center on continually going to God, remember who he is and who we are not.

And this is critical to living in his abundance and goodness.

Life is more beautiful when you can rest in your heavenly father's tent.  It's sweeter when you can feel safe under his care.  You can rest easy on that hill top, peak out the tent, and look beyond the hill with him beside you. And as you take a deep breath to leave the comfort of that Holy place, you can go knowing he will walk beside you.

Go to him.  Confess to him. Rest in him. And invite him to walk beside you until eternity.

-grace


Sent from my iPhone

Comments

Popular Posts