Push Into God

1 How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me?
2 How long must I take counsel in my soul and have sorrow in my heart all the day? How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?
3 Consider and answer me, O LORD my God; light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death,
4 lest my enemy say, "I have prevailed over him," lest my foes rejoice because I am shaken.
5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
6 I will sing to the LORD, because he has dealt bountifully with me.

- Psalms 13

A few months back, I was in a season of confusion. I want to say depression, but I'm not sure it was depression, and I don't want to undermine those that actually deal with depression. Whatever the case, I wasn't in a good place.

It wasn't that my relationship with God was suffering. My relationship at home was fine. Church stuff was good. I honestly couldn't put my finger on exactly what was going on. If I had to guess, I would say that I didn't quite understand my purpose as a man.

I started getting coaching sessions from a life and ministry coach. He's incredible and has helped me work through most of that and really helped me define my purpose.

What's so impressive to me about David is his ability to push into God when he feels like God isn't near. He seems depressed, but his reaction is beautiful. I wasn't doing that. David is crying out to God, "Where are you? I need you! Why aren't you answering me?!" It's a beautiful picture of how we should push into the Lord when we feel like He is nowhere to be found.

If you asked David at the time he wrote this Psalm how his relationship with God was, I bet he would say that it is awesome. He is treating their relationship like he would that of a friend...a friend for whom he has much reverence. Notice in the last two verses, his tone changes. Instead of crying out to God for help, he praises Him for salvation, and says in the midst of all the chaos, he will sing to the Lord. Amazing.

Church today, in the midst of he chaos, in the midst of feeling near or far from God, would you remember Him? Would you praise Him for salvation? Would you sing to Him?

I know my life is like turbo charged chaos right now, so this is challenging for me. Maybe it will challenge you to push into praise as well.

Love y'all.

Charlie

Comments

Popular Posts