Mean Girls

1 Does not wisdom call?
Does not understanding raise her voice?
2 On the heights beside the way,
at the crossroads she takes her stand;
3 beside the gates in front of the town,
at the entrance of the portals she cries aloud:
4 “To you, O men, I call,
and my cry is to the children of man.
5 O simple ones, learn prudence;
O fools, learn sense.
6 Hear, for I will speak noble things,
and from my lips will come what is right,
7 for my mouth will utter truth;
wickedness is an abomination to my lips.
8 All the words of my mouth are righteous;
there is nothing twisted or crooked in them.
- Proverbs 8:1

Do y'all hear that?  Wisdom is a woman and she is not a "mean girl."

I know the author, King Solomon, is only personifying wisdom as a woman, but these eight verses got me thinking: if Wisdom hung out with me for an entire day, would she view my words as noble or crooked?

I must sadly confess that she would rank me closer to the crooked side than the noble side.  But before you fire me from being Sunday School lady, please know that I am sharing one of my greatest weaknesses as a sinner.  I have a horrible habit of being a mean girl, and I can be judgmental, overly critical, and not very edifying. Now that I think about it, I know exactly who and where I got it from, but that doesn't excuse my behavior. And even though many of these behaviors are now just thoughts, sometimes the mean words still come out. In the car, after a rotten phone call, after a long day of work, or as I browse social media, the mean words just fall out of my mouth or mind before I realize it.

Yeah, If wisdom was a woman, she would lovingly call me out within an hour.

But, I write to you today to not convict you of your flaws if you're a "mean girl" (or "mean boy"), too.

I write with my chair tilted back, looking at the ceiling in awe of the Gospel!!!  Man, I can be ugly, but this is why I need him so badly!!

You see, in the awareness and conviction of my own sin, I sit amazed at Jesus' gift of salvation.  I'm overjoyed by his love for me and the sacrifice he made for me.

He saved a wretch like me.
He sees me as holy.
And now calls me to be holy.
He calls us to be Holy.

My prayer is that everything we read in His Word, and everything we do in our day, points back to Jesus and the Gospel.

Pray and reflect on the Gospel today. Thank him for your own salvation and for what he is doing in your life now. Let us also pray about sharing the Gospel with someone soon!  Let's pour out church! His kingdom needs to know salvation can be theirs too.

Love,
Grace

Comments

Popular Posts