Yesterday. Today. Forever.


****Sidebar before this gets going: Seriously, go watch the video Charlie talked about yesterday (youtube.com-> search for Bible Project Hebrews). It’s amazingly helpful. Hebrews was a big blob of “what the heck is he talking about?” before I saw it, and now it’s more a big blob of “it makes a lot more sense, but there’s SO MUCH!” So, progress.*****

“You, Lord, laid the foundation of the earth in the beginning,
    and the heavens are the work of your hands;
 they will perish, but you remain;
    they will all wear out like a garment,
 like a robe you will roll them up,
    like a garment they will be changed.
But you are the same,
    and your years will have no end.” 1:10-12

“But because He remains forever, He holds His priesthood permanently. 25 Therefore, He is always able to save those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to intercede for them.” 7:24-25

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” 13:8


The verses above are where my heart kept landing while flipping pages through Hebrews. I thought their placements within the book were interesting, too - beginning, middle, end. Repeated
reminders for people who need a lot of reassurance….like me.

I love consistency. My name literally means “constant.” I thrive and feel secure in routine and predictability. I do not like situations that change suddenly, or are always changing. I want to know the plan and stick to the plan. People that don’t have a plan or don’t stick to the plan make me nervous. 

The problem with my love of consistency is that when the circumstances or people in my life don’t provide it, I try to create it myself. I lean more and more into my own abilities. And of course, I fail. And I keep failing, because I’m not supposed to trust in myself. Any time I do, it turns out badly. 

These verses assure us that God remains. He is the same forever. He has no end. He is permanent. He always lives and is always able. Always. 

That God, the God these verses speak of? He is a God who is so, so worthy of my trust. My God is sure when I don’t which way is up. He is rock solid when I am completely shaky. He is eternal and permanent when I can’t find anything to hold on to. He has, and will always, intercede for me even when I feel I have failed Him too many times. 

I have put too much trust lately in my circumstances and myself. As a result, I have been insecure, anxious, and stressed out. These verses have breathed new life into me today. 

Re-read them. Let the Holy Spirit minister to you through them, whether you struggle with consistency or trust too much in the wrong source of consistency. 

Our God is sure, and true, and solid. He’s not going anywhere, and He will handle it-whatever “it” is in your life. He remains, He is always able, and He is permanent. Find rest in that.

- Connie Hartman


Comments

Popular Posts