Heroes For The Persecuted

Before we talk about Hebrews, let’s talk about us!  Just as we are closing in on summer we are closing in on the book of Hebrews.  We have hit Chapter 11 of Hebrews. It is here that the author pushes his point.  What point is that?   

Well, before we continue, let’s rewatch The Bible Project’s video on Hebrews https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9wqN-nwSzE

Main Goal #2:  Don’t walk away from Jesus. Remain Faithful. God will not abandon you.  

Antonio and Bridget wisely chose awesome verses and expanded on this already. Remember, the audience of this letter were thinking of walking away because their very lives were in danger.  This letter was a letter of hope and encouragement through reason!  He wasn’t like, “Just have faith, bro! God’s in control.”  No.  As you saw in the video, he goes back to the foundation of their identity as Hebrews to logically explain that Jesus is better than everything else, higher than everyone else and worth everything.. Even their life.  

In reading chapter 11, I imagined being a member of this Hebrew church.  (Please note that I may have imagined it all wrong because of my lack of historical biblical knowledge, but graciously hear me out.)

I imagined myself sitting in that little “church” as we awaited to hear the letter.  Maybe I would have been looking around and noticing how much smaller the congregation was. Maybe I would know the reasons why each person was no longer there.  Maybe I’d be gut-wrenchingly anxious, filled with hate, juggling doubt, angry, bitter, scared, or all of the above.

Then, someone would begin reading the letter.  I would be reminded of God and how he has revealed himself to my ancestors.  Then, I’d be reminded of Jesus.  Who he is and that he is better, higher than Angels, Moses, High Priests and the old covenant.  Tears guys.. Tears of hope, conviction, restoration would be running down my face.  

Then Chapter 11 would be read.  Chapter 11, AKA The Hall of Faith.   “Now faith… By faith we...By faith Abel......By faith Noah… Abraham.. Moses..” and so on.  Who am I to walk away from Jesus?  My ancestors did not even know his name and remained faithful.  Jesus is my messiah.  

Brothers and sisters of The Well, read chapter 11 today and rejoice in our Messiah.  His name is Jesus.  He is The Word and gave us The Word to reveal himself to us.  Blessed are we to be called his own.   

- Grace


Comments

Popular Posts