Love is Sacrifice

Hebrews 13:1-6

Let brotherly love continue. 2 Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.3 Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body. 4 Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous. 5 Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said,“I will never leave you nor forsake you.” 6 So we can confidently say,

“The Lord is my helper;
    I will not fear;
what can man do to me?”

I truly have a love/relationship with lists.  Can't live with 'em.  Can't live without 'em.  Which is probably why I so easily gravitated to the above list of to-dos and to-dont's from the author.

It's sound advice. It’s practical, wise, truth-filled, but easier said than done.  In rereading over verses 1-5, they are a call to give up time, money, energy, selfish tendencies, sinful desires... it's a call to sacrifice.

And I am not very good at sacrificing, to be honest.  Verse two and five were very convicting.  Sacrifice requires that we give up something as an offering to God.  However, sacrifices are not just for God or even ourselves, they speak volumes to others, too.

Here's my example from last month.

With a sleeping 3-year-old, Silas, in my arms, I let Elijah play with a friend in front of the Cerritos Library's splash pad area.  Getting soaked was not planned at all.  He was wearing full soccer gear but I decided to roll with it.  He took off his shoes, socks and went allllll in!  Elijah played on and on, well after his friend left, well after my phone died, until all at once he realized he was cold.  It was time to walk to the car.

Elijah was willing to walk barefooted (which oddly he hates doing), but the fancy shmancy tiny stony paved walkway hurt his feet.  He wanted me to carry him but I already had Silas.

I felt bad so I gave him my slippers and proceeded to walk barefoot.  "Mommy," he stopped me, "Why are you sacrificing for me?" "Because I love you, Elijah, and I know you tried to walk by yourself," I answered.  "Just like Jesus sacrificed for us?" he asked.   "Kinda," I replied, "except he sacrificed himself so you can join him in heaven.  I just want you to join me to our car."

The smile and hug he gave me afterwards was super worth it!  The conversation on the way home was even better!  God blessed that moment.

Sacrifice small or big... God will bless that too!  The reward may not be as instant as mine was, but the fruit will come.

Remember:

...5 for he has said ,“I will never leave you nor forsake you.” 6 So we can confidently say,
“The Lord is my helper;
    I will not fear;
what can man do to me?”

In Him,

Grace

Comments

Popular Posts