It's a New Covenant, Yes it is.

Hebrews 9 reminds me of my student loans. And each paycheck I get, is like a sacrificial lamb but hardly pays down the debt.  I just have to keep working and working and sacrificing and sacrificing until that debt is paid off.  But what’s this?  Some government program is available that says a sacrifice has already been made.  All I have to do is believe in it and trust in it.  
If this were a real scenario, I’d be jumping up and down and sharing it all over social media and telling all my neighbors about this “Student Loan Gospel”.
But there IS a real scenario, and it’s far more important than a financial debt, far more taxing than working a 9 to 5, and infinitely more righteous, sacrificial and better than the government.
Hebrews 9 is all about comparing the Old covenant vs the New Covenant.  Go through it, and just put yourselves in the shoes of the Jews, (or sandals of the Jews if you find the rhyme distracting).   It’s quite overwhelming how many laws you’d probably break and the sacrifices you would have to make.  If I were under the Old Covenant, I’d be grateful for the Priests that would have to routinely “perform their ritual duties” (verse 6). I’d be extremely grateful for the High Priest that would have to perform the annual sacrifice into the Holy of Holies (verse 7).  That High Priest every year must make a sacrifice that takes care of unintentional sins.  That’s a lot of work, but it’s not perfect.
The New Covenant is Jesus Christ.  It’s a whole new system, and He takes the burden completely off us, the priests and the high priests. There’s no spilling of a goat’s blood or entering of tabernacles. He covers it all.  He doesn’t even have to enter the Holy of Holies to offer the sacrifice, but heaven itself in the presence of God. He undeservedly suffered a terrible death for us, and acted as the unblemished sacrificial lamb.  But because He is perfect, His blood covered our sin once and for all.  Not annually as required by the Old Covenant.   This is why it’s called the Gospel.  Because without it, we’re pretty much doomed.  
In verse 14, the author (as well as Bridget from earlier this week) suggests how we ought to respond. “...how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God.”   By knowing what he accomplished, we should be purified from our dead works and actively serving our living God.
Verse 28 also says Christ will come again, not to deal with sin because He’s already taken care of that.    He’s coming back to save “THOSE WHO ARE EAGERLY WAITING FOR HIM”.  Does that describe us?  I want all of us to be able to say that we’re “eagerly” waiting for Him.   And the more we dig deep into Hebrews, the more I can honestly say that I’m eagerly waiting for Him.  That is my prayer for the church and everyone who has not believed in Jesus Christ.
Pray: Father I thank you for the New Covenant and for showing us grace, mercy and love. Purify our conscience from dead works, so that we may serve you whole heartedly. That we would love our neighbors and loved ones in a way that helps them eagerly wait for you.  Forgive me for when I become stagnant, but let my soul be satisfied in you.  You’re perfect, and I’m humbled by your divine love. 


Comments

Popular Posts