Prayer

Prayer

“As I said, we do not live in a praying age. We live in an age of hustle and bustle, of man’s efforts and mans determination, and mans confidence in himself and in his own power to achieve things.”
- R.A Torrey

How true are these words for our generation today! Prayer is not something I am necessarily good at. It is so easy to get wrapped up in the how to’s  of a prayer and making sure you are following “ the rules.” Its so easy to allow yourSELF and life to get in the way of the Holy Spirit. A few months ago while reading through Matthew I read the Lords Prayer and as I was reading it I felt the Spirit whisper in my heart ‘This is how you pray’. From that day I started praying that prayer before I read my Bible in the morning, before bed, over my children and any time I felt called to prayer. It has become a sweet constant in my day to day. 

“ Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory for ever. Amen.
Matthew 6:9-13

How amazing is our God! He gives us the perfect prayer! A prayer that allows us to come before our King giving Him the adoration and praise he deserves while surrendering ourselves to Him in repentance. As Julie Andrews sand in the Sound of Music “lets start at the very beginning, a very good place to start.” The Lords Prayer is the perfect place to start; at the beginning. From there we are able to come before God and offer Him our requests. If prayer is something you struggle with be encouraged that you are not alone, but lets change that! Lets become a generation and a church that is known for its prayer! Everyone has to start somewhere so why don’t we start here, at the beginning, the way Jesus taught us. 


Elise

Comments

Popular Posts