Psalm 3

Psalm 3

A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.

[1] O LORD, how many are my foes!
Many are rising against me;
[2] many are saying of my soul,
“There is no salvation for him in God.” Selah
[3] But you, O LORD, are a shield about me,
my glory, and the lifter of my head.
[4] I cried aloud to the LORD,
and he answered me from his holy hill. Selah
[5] I lay down and slept;
I woke again, for the LORD sustained me.
[6] I will not be afraid of many thousands of people
who have set themselves against me all around.
[7] Arise, O LORD!
Save me, O my God!
For you strike all my enemies on the cheek;
you break the teeth of the wicked.
[8] Salvation belongs to the LORD;
your blessing be on your people! Selah (ESV)



One of the most stressful jobs on the planet is that of an air traffic controller. These men and women are in control of something that we can’t imagine. As I write this, there're nearly 11,000 planes in the sky. These planes are all going different directions and at different times. So many factors play into this going successfully that honestly, some of it is out of their control. The air traffic controller has to have as much control as possible to get those planes to land.

Sometimes I feel like that. I feel like I have planes flying all around, and I just need them to land. When I have too many planes in the sky, they can start to feel like foes. Worse yet, the great gifts in my life also can start to feel like foes rising against me. The past month or two has just been chaos for me. It feels like I am getting blitzed from all angles. Like, some of these planes have to land. Here’s a list of flying planes this last month, not including my family (blessing), and all things church (blessing).

  1. Baseball - Coaching Leeland’s Team
  2. Teaching - Middle School Class
  3. My Grandma’s Passing and Funeral in Texas
  4. Escrow
  5. We got a new puppy. He’s cute, but lots of work.

It stresses me out just to look at that list!!! It really causes me to read Psalm 3 and realize that only Jesus is my shield. I can cry to him, and know that He has already answered me! See, Jesus answered me in my despair when I called on Him for salvation. That great and beautiful moment opened the door for living a life that I am not in control of. He is in control!

I read vs. 5 and man, it hits home. It’s all His. The fact that I am still here today…His. He gives me rest and sustains me for yet another day. Praise God!

Lastly, when I read verse 8 and think of God’s sovereignty it just brings me so much peace. It’s so clear that salvation belongs to Him. He is the rock. He is the hope. He is the truth. And I’m out here floundering to get by. Trying to control everything in my life. I really need to just give it up.

What’s crazy is, I know that what He wants most is for me to sit at His feet, but when I get stressed, I try to show Him that I know better than He does. It’s just bonkers. He made everything. He sustains everything. 

The beautiful part in all of this is that He will let me run in circles and try to figure this thing out on my own, and then be waiting there again and again for me. Waiting to bless me. He doesn’t try to make me feel stupid for not turning to Him first. He just lovingly accepts me with open arms.

Now that some of those planes are starting to land, life seems a little more manageable. My only hope is that the next time I launch a bunch of planes at one time, I turn to God for the peace and wisdom on how to handle that a bit quicker.

“Your blessing be on your people!”
That’s for us, Church! As you go about your day, know that you have a God with a plan. He will fight for you. He will sustain you. He will bless you. All even when you are not trusting or afraid. 

He loves you like a GREAT Dad!

By His Grace,

Charlie

PS - If you want to have your mind blown about flights, click this link to see the planes in the sky right now: https://www.flightradar24.com/37.21,-101.94/4

Comments

Popular Posts