Speechless

I have struggled with prayer for some time now, and am always looking to try and better my relationship with my savior, and I know that one of the main ways of doing this is by simply talking to Him. Easy, right? I feel like a pharisee sometimes, trying to over think and over exaggerate my prayers into some ‘over the top,’ ‘trying to be impressive to others’ mini speech to make myself look good. This is not what God desires. He looks at the heart and what are our true desires. This sometimes leaves me speechless as then I feel like I don’t know what to say and end up just sitting in silence. This is where I go back to the scripture for better understanding and to try and build a better foundation not only for myself but for my family as well.

In Romans 8:26 says:

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercede for us with groaning too deep for words.

The Spirit helps us in our weakness, and by golly my weakness is through prayer. This brings me to another scripture which many of us have heard throughout the church years and have probably heard it outside of church as well.

Matthew 6:7-13 (This is in response to the synagogue hypocrites and their ‘showing off’ through speech happens).

And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. Pray then like this:

Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

It’s all there! What a relief! Thank God for His word and how we need it each and every day. These are the words I need to meditate on as in each one of these phrases, the Spirit can work through me to deepen my relationship with my Father. Pray this prayer while keeping the passage from Romans in your pocket to know that we are God’s beloved children and he yearns to just hear our hearts through prayer.

Blessings to you all this week.

Tim

Comments

Popular Posts