Selfless Love

1 Corinthians 13:4-6

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
What I'm thankful for isn't a thing but a person.  Of course, she isn't perfect and our relationship is faaaaaaar from perfect, but my mom really loves like no one else I've ever met.  

This year, I have watched her care for her daughters, terminally ill ex-husband, and his son just as the verses above illustrate. 

My mom is patient when he, or we, yell and is slow to anger (97.25% of the time ;). She reminds us to guard our hearts against evil and calls us to protect and serve everyone around us. Everyone. It's hard to hear her advice sometimes because she sets a high bar. Selfish thinking is not allowed. Over-emotional mean sarcasm is called out, eventually. Her advice makes me want to pout, pull my hoodie over my entire face and roll my eyes!!! No wait, I do that!  (Sorry Mom!) But this good woman kills me with kindness and leads by example. 

Two years ago, I would never ever ever imagined choosing my mom and my relationship with her as the #1 thing I'm thankful for. Thank God, he created love and love always perseveres.  What Jesus did on the cross wasn't just to reconcile us to himself but to one another. If God can restore my relationship, you can fall on your knees right now and ask God to do the same for you!  (Warning: He will work on your heart first, but the road is worth it.)

As we dive into all the social holiday events, let's take my mom's advice: Love and protect everyone; It is the best gift you can give yourself. 
 
Happy Thanksgiving family!  

Big Fat Turkey Hug, 

Grace 

Comments

Popular Posts