Basic

1 The proverbs of Solomon, son of David, king of Israel:
2 To know wisdom and instruction, to understand words of insight,
3 to receive instruction in wise dealing, in righteousness, justice, and equity;
4 to give prudence to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the youth-
5 Let the wise hear and increase in learning, and the one who understands obtain guidance,
6 to understand a proverb and a saying, the words of the wise and their riddles.
7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.
- Proverbs 1:1-7

Knowledge. Wisdom. Instruction.

Three things that we are never too young to start gaining, and never too old to stop. Today marks the beginning of a new Devo series going through the book of Proverbs. My hope is that through the beautiful knowledge and wisdom in this book, we will grow closer together and with Jesus. It should help equip us how to live in Christ, and how to shine Him to others, so let's get started.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge. That sentence is exactly opposite of how most people think of God. Many people, myself included, try to understand God. We feel like we can get to God with reason. We feel like if we can learn as much as possible we will be equipped to make a decision on God. That is NOT what this first beautiful Proverb says. It says that there is no real knowledge without the fear of the Lord. Knowledge only exists because God created it, so rather than trying to gain all the knowledge we can, let's get to know the one that invented it.

I remember taking a class called Religions of The World in college. My goal was to learn as much as I could, and then decide if I believed. So I learned a little bit about a lot and guess what...it didn't help at all. My quest for knowledge stalled before it started. God's hope for us is to gain knowledge through relationship with Him. To learn how to live in the universe He created by fearing the one that could end it all...by getting to know the creator directly.

I'm sure we all know someone that we wish they would just go basic. Get back to what's most basic. The most basic thing is God. The crazy thing is, the most advanced thing is also God. He is the beginning of knowledge, wisdom, and instruction. He's also the end of all things. So when you pursue God, you're pursuing the beginning and the end. It's actually pretty simple. Pursue One thing. Him. That simple thing is enough to last a lifetime. I promise you that if you pursue what is most basic, He will take you to what's deep and profound.

Pray This
Lord show me yourself. Give me you. Let me see you. You are the beginning, the alpha, where all life and knowledge comes from. Please fill me today with your spirit. When I go astray, bring me back to what's most basic for life, knowledge, wisdom, and instruction. Give me opportunities to point people towards you today. Help me recognize those opportunities, and boldly step into them. In Jesus name, Amen.

- Charlie

Comments

Popular Posts