Can you change God's mind?

14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.
15 And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. - James 5:14-15

Prayer. What a wonderfully confusing thing that we do. It's one of those things that I will never fully understand, and yet I know I'm called to believe and submit to it. I feel like I'm a ping pong ball going back and forth. God is all knowing and is literally in control of everything, so why should I ask for things when I pray. BUT, God tells us to ask for things when we pray! I don't mean ask for a gold plated toilet, or a personal helicopter, but He does tell us to ask for things.

The crazy part is, I have asked for things, and He has given them. Now I would chock that up to praying in His will, and I believe that to be the case, but still...discerning His will is no easy task.

We were just over at Bridget's uncle Don and aunt Lorrae's house last night, and the scene was tragic. Six months ago her uncle was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. Before that, he had ZERO symptoms. Nothing. He was incredibly healthy and active. One day, he was having s hard time breathing so they took him to the doctor and pow. I mean what do you do with that?! The cancer had metastasized in his brain and bones. This is bad.

Through it all, He has been courageous, loving, hopeful of healing, and excited to meet his savior soon. We went over to pray for them last night. Man, was that tough. It's really incredible how fast things can turn. Three weeks ago we were over there eating ice cream cake for Bridget's birthday and he was up and walking and talking with my kids explaining the oxygen tank to them...a pretty normal scene. Fast forward to last night, and he's on hospice, can't eat or drink, can't talk, can't really move unassisted. It's the terrifying and horrible reality of the effects of a sinful world.

Lorrae is doing what a wonderful wife should. She's praying for healing, trying to get him nutrition in hopes of a miraculous bounce back, and working her tail off to take care of her husband. Through many tears, Bridget's aunt made the comment, "Am I praying for God to change His mind? I know it's His will when things happen, so I don't know if I'm praying for Him to change His mind or if I should be praying for his healing." What a profound question. And Bridget came in with a profound answer that is soothing for my soul in situations like this.

She said, "God created you and gave you a purpose. You are exactly who He wants in this situation to take care of Don in only a way that you can. So, you keep praying in faith and taking care of Him. God is not done with Him yet, for whatever reason, but when God is done, He is done. For now, you use the gifts God has given you for this very situation and purpose." Boom. That is the best answer I feel like I've ever heard. And that was a Holy Spirit moment. Bridget and I didn't pre-discuss that answer, it was out of her mouth so naturally and truthfully.

God wants us to pray because He loves us and wants us to join Him in His will. Can you change His mind or His plan? No. Can you align yourself with His will? Yes. Can you ask in faith and assurance for prayers and healing? 100%. And sometimes those prayers will be answered with a miraculous result. Other times, they may not. I don't fully understand it. It's like an ant trying to understand a human times a gajillion. Here's what I do know. We have all heard the anecdote, "prayer changes things." It's true. Prayer does change things. The primary thing it changes is the one who is praying. As you pray, you are drawing to the heart of God, and that must change you. So, yes, prayer changes things. Sometimes it we see miraculous results that seem different than the expected outcome. But every time, genuine prayer will change the heart of the one praying.

God created us for a purpose with certain gifts he wants to use in every situation. Realizing that, gives a ton of freedom to be who you are, ask God for what you need, and live in boldness of how you are created.

Please pray for Don and Lorrae. They have been to our church several times so you might even be able to put faces with the names. Pray for God to use you and to give you the faith to be used in the way He has gifted you. Pray that He would align your prayer life with His will. And pray boldly, knowing that He has placed you exactly where you are for a reason and a purpose.

Love you guys.

- Charlie

Comments

Popular Posts