On Things Above

Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. - Colossians 3:2

Time for some honesty. I have a really hard time living out this verse. It all hit me while I was putting Gunnar to bed. We read a Bible story, and we were praying. Sounds so cute and wonderful, but it was really just a chore for me at that moment. I was tired, and I really just wanted to go to bed.

While we were praying, he and Leeland were playing around and not listening, so I stopped and got onto them, which is fine, but my heart was so frustrated that they were disrespecting prayer time. I was personally offended like they were maliciously trying to disobey me. I scolded them, finished praying and as I was about to get up and leave their room, Gunnar leans over and just lays his head on my arm. My heart was crushed in that moment.

Sounds like a dramatic reaction from me, I know. In that moment, though, I realized that I have not been parenting like my mind is set on things above. So I paused. I lie there with Gunnar, and just started praying. I prayed for forgiveness for myself. I prayed for his heart. I was speaking encouragement and blessing over his life. I just kept telling him I loved him and that I was proud of him.

It was a moment that I realized that as the third child, he gets less of me than the other two ever did. So even though I wanted to go to bed, in that wonderful moment, I set my mind on things above for the good of my son. It was so worth it. Duh.

Those moments where he will just lay with me are going to be fewer and farther between as he grows older. I've always known that. But I will never forget that moment that God reminded me to set my mind on Him as I parent. God showed me the result of doing that...It was pure joy.

Pray: Heavenly Father, You are he giver of all good things. You have created moments in my life to show me glimpses of what is good. God help me set my eyes on things of eternity. Help me see that in so doing, my motivation for living will change. Give me the blessing of experiencing the joy that comes with that. Thank you for your son, Jesus. Thank you for His sacrifice for me. Thank you for calling us and leading us. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.


- Charlie

Comments

Popular Posts